Punjab: PM Modi stuck on flyover for 15-20 minutes enroute Ferozepur rally venue, 'huge security lapse', says MHA

Punjab: PM Modi stuck on flyover for 15-20 minutes enroute Ferozepur rally venue, ‘huge security lapse’, says MHA

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday cancelled his scheduled visit to Punjab’s Ferozepur to address a rally after he was stuck on a flyover for 15-20 minutes, the Central Government informed.

According to a statement by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Prime Minister Modi landed at Bathinda today from where he was to go to the National Martyrs Memorial at Hussainiwala by helicopter.  Due to rain and poor visibility, the Prime Minister waited for about 20 minutes for the weather to clear out.

However, when the weather did not improve, it was decided that he would visit the National Marytrs Memorial via road, which would take more than two hours. He proceeded to travel by road after necessary confirmation of necessary security arrangements by the DGP Punjab Police, MHA statement said.

“Around 30 kms away from the National Martyrs Memorial in Hussainiwala, when the Prime Minister’s convoy reached a flyover, it was found that the road was blocked by some protestors. The Prime Minister was stuck on a flyover for 15-20 minutes. This was a major lapse in the security of the Prime Minister,” MHA statement read.

It further noted that the Prime Minister’s schedule and travel plan was communicated well in advance to the Congress-led Punjab government. “As per procedure, they have to make necessary arrangements for logistics, security as well as keep a contingency plan ready. Also in view of the contingency plan the Punjab government has to deploy additional security to secure any movement by road, which were clearly not deployed,” the Ministry stated.

READ ALSO :  Tripura’s Covid-19 death rate highest in Northeast region, says govt report

After this security lapse, it was decided to head back to Bathinda Airport.

The Ministry of Home Affairs has taken cognisance of this “serious security lapse” and has sought a detailed report from the state government. 

first published:Jan. 5, 2022, 3:09 p.m.

Source link