New Delhi: Amitabh and Jaya Bachchan are among the most loved B-town couples. The dynamic duo celebrates the 48th year of their marriage. We bring some of their iconic on-screen performances together. They are the power couple of the Hindi film industry and have entertained their fans with many amazing performances solely as well as together. On completing 48 years of their marriage, let us remember their super-seven movies you must watch.
1. Zanjeer: Amitabh Bachchan, Jaya Bachchan, Pran, Ajit, and Bindu stars in Zanjeer. The action film released in 1973 bought a whole new trend in Hindi cinema, as per reports. Amitabh played the role of Inspector Vijay Khanna with Jaya as Mala. It was a blockbuster at the box office and became a classic.
2. Ek Nazar: Manmohan Akash Tyagi (Amitabh Bachchan) wants to marry the courtesan Shabnam (Jaya Bhaduri), who is very much fond of his poems. Aminabai (Nadira), who runs the kotha where Shabnam performs doesn’t want this to happen. Akash’s father Raghunath Tyagi (Tarun Bose), who is the public prosecutor, is against the match. Aminbai is found murdered and Shabnam is the chief suspect.
3. Chupke Chupke: The classic comedy is one the most hilarious films of all time. A great storyline backed by powerful performances from Dharmendra, Sharmilla Tagore, Amitabh Bachchan, and Jaya Bachchan. The cute chemistry between Amitabh and Jaya is admired by people till now and the way they both performed is just commendable.
4. Abhimaan: Released in 1973, Abhimaan is a Hindi musical drama starring Amitabh Bachchan, Jaya Bachchan, Asrani, and Bindu. Jaya won the Filmfare Best Actress Award for her performance and the movie was a super hit at the Box Office. It was Amitabh and Jaya’s consecutive second film together.
5. Silsila: Amit (Amitabh) is very much in love with Chandni (Rekha) but circumstances force him to marry his late brother’s fiancee Shobha (Jaya). The two lovers meet later in life and the old flame gets rekindled. Their spouses, Sanjeev Kumar is superb as Chandni’s husband, get devastated by this when news breaks out. Fate, however, lends a hand in keeping the sanctity of their respective marriages intact.
6. Sholay: The Cult classic of the Hindi Film Industry released in 1975. was directed by Ramesh Sippy, and casts stars like Dharmendra, Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjeev Kumar, Hema Malini, Jaya Bachchan, and Amjad Khan with others. Amitabh played the role of Jai and Jaya portrayed the character of a widow. They both fell for each other but kept their feelings to themselves. The chemistry between these two was silent and beautiful, just the way they say, ‘Love doesn’t need words it needs feeling.’
7. Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham: The film was Karan Johar’s take on Ramayana and starred the creme de la creme of Bollywood stars. Tycoon Yashvardhan Raichand (Amitabh Bachchan) and Nandini Raichand (Jaya Bachchan) adopt a child Rahul (Shah Rukh Khan). Rahul is as smart and diligent as his adoptive father and is all set to take the reigns of their business empire. He falls in love with Anjali (Kajol) who belongs to the middle-class.