Daily Mail India
Daily Mail India

No CCTV Footage Available In Tamil Nadu Custody Deaths, Court Told

The state authorities has handed over the investigation to the CBI.

Chennai/ New Delhi:

Security footage has been erased on the Sathankulam police station in Tamil Nadu the place a person and his son have been detained earlier than they died of extreme wounds, allegedly from torture and beatings, an inquiry report submitted to the Madras High Court reveals.

The courtroom was advised that there’s no CCTV footage of the police station obtainable from June 19, the day Jeyaraj and his son Beniks have been arrested for conserving their cell phone store in Santhankulam, Tuticorin, open past permitted hours in the course of the coronavirus lockdown. The report submitted yesterday additionally reveals that policemen being investigated tried their greatest to dam investigations and one constable “jumped over a wall and escaped” when requested at hand over his stick as proof.

Beniks, 31, died on June 22 and his father Jeyaraj, 59, died early subsequent day. The two males have been allegedly subjected to savage torture in custody. Their household alleges they’d extreme inner and exterior wounds, together with rectal bleeding. Vital footage that would have revealed what was finished to them in custody could have been misplaced.

NDTV has accessed the report of a Judicial Magistrate, which says CCTVs put in on the police station had been programmed to auto-delete footage day-after-day although there may be sufficient space for storing – 1 terabyte — within the system’s exhausting disk.

A key witness on the police station has given some clues to what could have occurred between June 19 and 20 when the lads have been allegedly attacked brutally and brought for judicial custody with horrifying wounds throughout their our bodies. However, many different policemen on the station have been uncooperative.

The witness advised the Justice of the Peace that each father and son have been overwhelmed with sticks via the night time. So a lot that the sticks and tables within the neighborhood have been blood-stained, she stated, urging the Justice of the Peace to grab the objects as proof.

“She had asked me to seize the lathis (sticks) and the tables there but other police personnel present there did not cooperate in handing over their lathis,” the Justice of the Peace’s report stated.

A constable requested at hand over his stick jumped over a wall of the police station and escaped, the report stated.

Another policeman, Constable Maharajan, claimed his baton was at his native village. He later modified his assertion saying it was within the police quarters.

“Police personnel present there were recording the events in their mobile phones and were intimidating the court staff. Because the situation was not safe for us, we returned immediately,” the Judicial Magistrate advised the courtroom.

“You cannot do anything to us,” Constable Maharajan stated, in accordance with the Justice of the Peace’s report.

The High Court at this time stated there are grounds to cost police personnel with homicide primarily based on autopsy stories.

The police claims Jeyaraj and Beniks had thrown verbal abuses at their personnel and rolled round on the road whereas resisting arrest for conserving their store open 15 minutes past curfew.

Beniks was admitted to hospital at 7.45 pm on June 22, three days after the arrest. He died round 9 pm, in accordance with a timeline launched final night time by the police. His father was admitted round 10.30 pm the identical night time. Jeyaraj died early subsequent day, at 5.40 am.

The deaths have generated shock and outrage and requires homicide costs in opposition to the police concerned. Activists, politicians and celebrities have known as for justice.

The state authorities has handed over the investigation to the CBI.

Source hyperlink