New Delhi: National Red Wine Day is celebrated on August 28, mostly in the US but over the year it has been observed in different parts of the world. Often considered to be “nectar from the gods”, wine, has been consumed around the world for centuries, so far so that wine has been mentioned in mythological texts such as – Greek mythology and the Bible.
History of wine
Wine today may be synonymous with France, or Italy but the true origins likely lay in West Asia near the Caucasus Mountains, Zagros Mountains, Euphrates River Valley, and Southeastern Anatolia. Ancient wine production evidence was found in Armenia and Georgia. The oldest known technique of winemaking which dates as far back as 6000 BC, using earthen pots – qvevri – is still used to this day.
It is believed that the Greeks perfected the way to make wine, trade, and religious processes and further planted wines in Spain and Italy. The Spanish introduced wine to the Americas and vineyards emerged in Australia, South America, and California.
Share these quotes and wishes with fellow wine drinkers on National Wine Day:
- “Accept what life offers you and try to drink from every cup. All wines should be tasted; some should only be sipped, but with others, drink the whole bottle.” — Paulo Coelho
- “Wine is one of the most civilized things in the world and one of the most natural things of the world that has been brought to the greatest perfection, and it offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than, possibly, any other purely sensory thing.” — Ernest Hemingway
- “She loved three things — a joke, a glass of wine, and a handsome man.” — W. Somerset Maugham
- “Wine, because it’s not good to keep things bottled up.” — Unknown
- “I like on the table, when we’re speaking, the light of a bottle of intelligent wine.” — Pablo Neruda
- “A good day starts with coffee and ends with wine.” — Unknown
- Drinking a glass of water cannot bring any great stories out but drinking a glass of wine can!