New Delhi: The festival of Dhanteras before Diwali holds special significance in Hinduism. Bhagwan Dhanvantri is worshipped on this day. On Dhanteras, Goddess Lakshmi and Lord Kuber are also worshipped.
Auspicious Time for Dhanteras Shopping
There is a tradition of buying new things on the day of Dhanteras. This day is considered to be the best for shopping. Whatever you are planning to purchase do confirm the muhurat first.
On the day of Dhanteras, it is considered good to perform Deep Daan towards the south direction. On Dhanteras, people light a lamp in the name of Yama. It is believed that Deep Daan eradicates the fear of premature death.
Dhanteras Puja Material
- Toe rings
- Paan leaves
- Pushp mala
- Kamal Gatte
- Khara Dhaniya
- Panch Mewa
- Ganga Jal
- Pure ghee
- Naivedya or Sweets
- Cardamom (small)
- Panch Pallava (Badh, Goolar, Peepal, Mango and Pakar leaves)
- Medicinal herb
- Silver coin
- A white cloth
- A red cloth
- Earthen Lamp
- Shrifal (Coconut)
- Grain (rice, wheat)
- Lekhni (pen)
- Haldi ki Ganth etc.
Shopping Muhurat on Dhanteras
You can shop at Dhanteras from 11.30 am onwards. The auspicious occasion to buy gold and silver jewellery is from 6:17 PM to 8:12 PM. One should avoid shopping during Rahu Kaal on Dhanteras. If you are planning to buy utensils then shop between 7:15 PM. to 8:15 PM.
Today’s Rahu Kaal: According to the Panchang, on Dhanteras day, there will be Rahu Kaal from 2:50 PM to 4:12 PM. One should not commence any purchase or deeds during this period.
Dhanteras Puja Muhurat: The Dhanteras Puja Muhurat will be from 06:17 PM to 08:11 PM.
Yam Deepak Muhurat: The auspicious time or muhurat to light the Yam Deepak is between 05:35 PM to 06:53 PM.
Dhanteras Puja Vidhi
- Before starting the worship of Dhanteras, spread a red cloth and keep a handful of grains on it. Put a silver, copper or clay Kalash on top of grains.
- Fill the Kalash with three-fourths of the water and add a few drops of Ganga Jal.
- Add flowers, akshat, coin and supari to the Kalash. Also, place five mango leaves on top of it. Place paddy on top of a metal container.
- On paddy, make lotus flowers with turmeric. Place Goddess Lakshmi and put some coins next to the idol.
- In front of the Kalash, place the idol of Ganesha on the right in the southeast direction.
- Put your work belongings at the place of worship.
- While starting the puja, offer water, turmeric and kumkum and chant the mantra mentioned below.
- Offer flowers to Goddess Lakshmi.
- Bathe the idol of Goddess Lakshmi on a plate with Panchamrit (curd, milk, honey, ghee and sugar mixture). Place jewellery or pearls in the water and then bathe the idol.
- Dry the idol and place it on top of the Kalash. You can also bathe the idol by spraying only Panchamrit and water.
- Now offer sandalwood, saffron, scent, turmeric, kumkum, Abir Gulal to the statue of Goddess Lakshmi.
- Offer a garland of flowers on the statue of Goddess. Then present Bael leaves and marigold flowers and light the incense afterwards.
- Now offer sweets, coconut, fruits, kheel-batashe.
- Sprinkle coriander and cumin seeds on the statue.
- Worship Goddess Lakshmi on the place where you keep money and jewellery in the house.
Chant these Dhanteras mantras:
Om Srim Hrim Srim Kamle Kamliye Prasid-Prasid
Om Srim Hrim Srim Mahalaxmiye Namah