Controversy erupts over India map on WHO website, TMC MP, AIIMS doctor write to PM Modi

Controversy erupts over India map on WHO website, TMC MP, AIIMS doctor write to PM Modi

New Delhi: A controversy has erupted over a map of India on the World Health Organization (WHO) website. 

Trinamool Congress (TMC) Rajya Sabha MP Shantanu Sen has sent a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi in this regard. 

A doctor who is currently working at the All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS) in the Rae Bareli district of Uttar Pradesh also posted this map on social media platform Facebook and has demanded action from the Indian government.

Trinamool Congress (TMC) Rajya Sabha MP Shantanu Sen has spoken out on the issue. He has posted pictures of the map of India displayed on the WHO website on his official Twitter handle, tagging Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Chief Minister’s Office of West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjeee and has demanded action.

If you want to know the information about the Covid-19 pandemic in a particular country, you will have  to click on the map of that specific country on the website of the World Health Organization (WHO). 

Several Trinamool Congress (TMC) MPs have alleged that the map of India displayed on the WHO website is wrong. Clicking on parts of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh on the Indian map on the WHO website reveals information about the Covid-19 situation in Pakistan. 

“India is being defamed in this way on the WHO site. It is being shown that Kashmir is not part of India. 90 percent of Kashmir has been shown as a part of Pakistan while the remaining 10 percent has been depicted as a part of China. Arunachal Pradesh is being shown a separate from India,” Trinamool Congress (TMC) Rajya Sabha MP Shantanu Sen told the media.

READ ALSO :  Tamil Nadu reports 69 new coronavirus instances; one more death

Arijit Jotdar, a doctor at AIIMS in Rae Bareli, Uttar Pradesh, also posted the map of India from the WHO website on social media platform Facebook seeking the central government’s intervention in the matter.

The West Bengal unit of the BJP has alleged a conspiracy by WHO with the active backing of China. 

“The Indian government should take immediate action against the conspiracy, which is well-known in China,” West Bengal BJP spokesperson Shamik Bhattacharya said.

first published:Jan. 30, 2022, 11:05 p.m.

Source link