LAST UPDATED: March 24, 2021, 8:44 a.m.
New Delhi: Naxalite incidents have been happening in the Bastar division of Chhattisgarh i.e.Dantewada, Sukma, Bijapur and Narayanpur districts in distressingly regular intervals.
Huge numbers of casualties within the ranks of both the security forces and Naxalites are often seen in sporadic incidents during the summer season. In the last 10 years, most of the major attacks of Naxalites have taken place during the summer and especially in the month of March-April.
The biggest reason for this is increased visibility. As soon as the visibility increases, the Naxalites manage to escape after carrying out their crimes. The paths within the jungles are well known to the Naxalites. But when trees and the forest becomes denser in summer, they also face inconvenience while trying to escape. As the visibility increases, the soldiers also become more comfortable while on patrol or during cordon and search operations.
Big attacks so far:
– March 13, 2018: Naxalites blew up an anti-landmine vehicle by detonating an IED. In this attack, 9 soldiers were martyred and 3 were seriously injured.
– April 24, 2017: The 74th battalion of the CRPF came out as a road opening party at Dornapal in Sukma. Naxalites attacked ambush. The soldiers surrounded him from all sides. The attack in which 25 soldiers were martyred and 7 were injured.
– March 11, 2017: Naxalites targeted 219th battalion of CRPF, 11 soldiers were killed in this attack.
– April 2015: Naxalite attack in Dantewada killed 4 security forces personnel due to the explosion of a landmine laid by Naxalites. At the same time 8 jawans were injured.
– April 12, 2014: There was a Naxalite attack in Bastar in which 5 soldiers were killed and 14 people were killed.
– March 11, 2014: 14 Jawans were killed in a major attack of Naxalites in Jhiram Valley.
– May 25, 2013: This attack shook the entire country. The Naxalites attacked the Parivartan Yatra of the Congress Party in the Jhiram Valley. In which more than 30 people including top Congress leaders were killed.
– April 6, 2010: The biggest Naxalite attack took place in Dantewada in which 76 soldiers were martyred. It is considered to be the biggest attack ever.