After Robinson, ECB probing another player’s controversial tweet

London: The England and Wales Cricket Board is investigating another England player for posting “historically objectionable material”. This was raised a day after fast bowler Ollie Robinson was suspended for racist and sexist tweets.

Wisden said it had uncovered a racist tweet, but chose not to reveal the identity of the player because he was under 16 when it was posted.

A spokesman for the England and Wales Cricket Board said: “It has been brought to our attention that an England player has posted historically objectionable material on his social media account.”

We are looking into this and will comment more on this in the times to come. It comes in another case after England pacer Ollie Robinson was suspended from all international cricket in 2012 and 2013 until the result of an investigation into objectionable material posted on social media as a teenager.

He apologized for the tweets when he made his Test debut against New Zealand at Lord’s last week. He has been left out of selection for the second Test against New Zealand at Edgbaston starting on Thursday.

Robinson’s case has been an embarrassment not only to him but to the ECB as well, the tweets came after England players showed their solidarity with New Zealand cricketers against all forms of discrimination.

On the biggest day of my career so far, I am embarrassed by the racist and sexist tweets that I posted over eight years ago, which have today become public. I want to make it clear that I’m not racist and I’m not sexist. I deeply regret my actions, and I am ashamed of making such remarks. I was thoughtless and irresponsible, and regardless of my state of mind at the time, my actions were inexcusable. Since that period, I have matured as a person and fully regret the tweets,” he had said in a statement.

READ ALSO :  Wedding anniversary: Jackie Shroff and Ayesha Shroff have an interesting love story, see unseen pics

Source link

Leave a Comment