New Delhi: Vaginal discharge is normal and regular to each and every woman. This is your body’s way to keep your vagina healthy and infection free. But did you know there are certain type of discharges — yellow, brown or green — that can result into chunky in consistency, or foul smelling. These abnormal discharges can indicate an infection in your body or your vagina.
Abnormal vaginal discharge is usually caused by an infection. There are 3 infections — yeast infections, bacterial vaginosis, and trichomoniasis — that can cause changes in your vagina.
1. Symptoms of yeast infections
-White, cottage cheese-like discharge
-Swelling and pain around the vulva
-Painful sexual intercourse
2. Symptoms of Bacterial Vaginosis
-A white, gray, or yellowish vaginal discharge
-A fishy odor that is strongest after sex or after washing with soap
-Itching or burning
-Slight redness and swelling of the vagina or vulva
-Signs of trichomoniasis
3. Symptoms of Trichomoniasis
-A watery, yellowish, or greenish bubbly discharge
-An unpleasant odor
-Pain and itching when urinating
-Most apparent after your period
How to keep your vagina healthy and clean?
To prevent infections from your vagina you should follow these steps.
1. Practice good hygiene and wear breathable cotton underwear.
2. Don’t use douches.
3. Practice safe sex and use protection to avoid STIs.
4. Stop using scented products, such as scented tampons.
5. Avoid chemical soaps
6. Clean only the outside of your vagina with water when bathing.
7. Wear clothing that breathes to avoid vaginal irritation like cotton panties.
8. Change out of wet clothes or bathing suits quickly.
9. Go have a visit to your doctor for testing and checkups if you are sexually active and discuss any irregular vaginal discharge immediately.